Monday, March 12, 2012

Taxonomy of Learning

I recently learned about Benjamin Bloom's system of classifying different stages of learning for the student. There are six levels: Remembering, understanding, applying, analyzing, evaluating and creating. Mind mapping is a way to get ideas based around one central them out in an organized, pictorial way. Many students use mind maps to signify different stages of Bloom's Taxonomy.

For example, as an Instructional Technology student I could use Bloom's Taxonomy to classify at what stage I am. The blogs that I write after class every week are a way to analyze what I have learned. And if I were to look back at these blogs in a year or two, It would help me remember the information I covered in class. I also apply my understanding by creating things like UDL books, Glogsters, and Mind Maps.

This week I created a Mind Map that uses Bloom's Taxonomy to teach Stoichiometry (the units method) to high school chemistry students. I hope to use this mind map to make a lesson plan that will help me one day in the classroom.

No comments:

Post a Comment