Monday, February 13, 2012

Science for Science Teachers

I am, above all, here to become a high school science teacher. I am doing this because I have a passion for science. I think that the best way to describe how I feel when I learn a new concept is giddy. I make jokes that no one else gets (I'm as paw-sitive as a cat-ion) and answer rhetorical questions (you actually need to go to the bathroom more because caffeine suppresses the amount of antidiuretic hormone you produce). I love science, and I hope that everyone going into my field also feels the same way.


However, Michael Ruse's article leads me to believe otherwise, and I find that scary. He begins by describing a high school biology teacher's testimonial against a Bill that would force Arkansas teachers to read the book of Genesis to their students. The teacher said, "I’m not a scientist. I’m a science educator. I love science, I really do. And I love my students. My job is to take the science and teach it to my students. I am not a leading researcher. I am an educator, and I have my pride and professional responsibilities." Ruse then goes on to say that in 2007 Florida hired 1,154 science teachers; of these 282 had science qualifications.


These new teachers are sent our into the world and charged with educating the future generations, but how can they do this without having the necessary education themselves? I love science, and I try to learn everything I can about it. I do this to further my own self, as well as being able to answer the questions my future students may have.

No comments:

Post a Comment